Motorcycle Insurance Information
Motorcycle insurance is critical because it helps provide financial protection and can give riders peace of mind while enjoying the open road.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Typically Cover?
Motorcycle insurance typically helps cover various expenses related to accidents or damages involving your motorcycle. The exact coverage can vary depending on the policy you choose and your individual needs, but the following are some common types of coverage that are typically offered:
- Liability coverage may help pay for damages and injuries you cause to other people or their property while riding your motorcycle.
- Collision coverage may help pay for damages to your motorcycle if you are involved in a collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage may help pay for damages to your motorcycle caused by events other than collisions, such as theft, vandalism, fire or weather-related incidents.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM) may help protect you if you are involved in an accident with someone who does not have insurance or who does not have enough insurance to cover the damages.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) may help cover medical expenses and lost wages if you or your passengers are injured in an accident.
Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
Each state has its motorcycle insurance requirements. In New Jersey, motorcycle owners must carry minimum PIP, UM/UIM, bodily injury liability and property damage liability coverage. Additionally, if you’ve financed your motorcycle, your lender may require you to carry minimum amounts of additional lines of coverage, such as comprehensive or collision coverage.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Differ From Auto Insurance?
Motorcycle insurance and auto insurance differ in the following ways:
- Cost—Motorcycle insurance is typically less expensive than auto insurance because motorcycles are generally less expensive than cars and have a lower risk of causing damage in an accident. However, the cost of motorcycle insurance can vary depending on factors such as your driving history, motorcycle type and level of coverage.
- Coverage options—Motorcycle insurance policies offer different coverage options than auto insurance policies because motorcycles have different risks than cars. For example, motorcycle insurance policies typically include coverage for injuries to the rider because riders are more vulnerable to injury in an accident than drivers of cars. Motorcycle insurance policies may also include coverage for custom parts and accessories, which are not typically covered by auto insurance.
- Legal requirements—The legal requirements for motorcycle insurance may differ from those for auto insurance, depending on your state. For example, some states require motorcycle riders to carry higher levels of liability insurance than drivers of cars.
- Usage—Motorcycle insurance policies may have different usage restrictions than auto insurance policies because motorcycles are often used differently than cars. For example, some motorcycle insurance policies may have restrictions on the distance you can travel or the types of roads you can ride on.
Motorcycle Insurance Quote in Fairfield, NJ
Contact Allwood Forlenza Agency today to discuss your motorcycle insurance needs. We can help ensure that you have the right coverage for your situation.